Wednesday, August 09, 2006

 
Just today, someone from the Network computing team changed the hostname on my SQL Server and I spent a while trying to figure out why the clients couldn't connect. I got a:

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)
Error Number: 53


I spent about half an hour, looking up the settings in Configuration Manager and even did a restart (much like we do with Windows) but it still didn't work. I then decided to check the hostname after staring at various elements of the login dialog box when I finally got to the root of the problem.

It's more of a bad practice on part of the network computing guy who came by at night and switched names without documentation or notification of the change.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?